Wednesday 23 September 2009

Wey hey it’s tango!

Episode 45

Coffee: Guatemalan Finca Vista Hermosa
Special Notes: SHB Huehuetenango Michicoy Micro Lot
Cup Profile:

For an interesting story about how this coffee was bought, check out this weeks InMyMug

This is an incredibly orangey coffee.  I am used to citrus in coffee, but I don’t think I have had such a strong impression of oranges before this.  I first tasted this coffee in espresso, and although it is a touch on the acidic side for me, the intensity of the sweet orange flavour in the front palate really won me over.

As with last week, this coffee is on the sweeter side of the spectrum, which isn’t my favourite.  For my first attempt at a filter coffee, I tried a higher grinder setting than normal, and ended up with quite a light insipid cup.  I’ll have to try with my normal settings before I post this.  What was interesting though was how strong the oranges were still.  I think the perfectly brewed cup of this coffee could be quite special, even though it will probably never be quite to my taste

Having now tried this again, I think I might have gone too far the other way.  I have the feeling I will spend the whole week searching for the perfect balance.  Perhaps I will do the same as last week and stick to espresso.  Either way, I will be enjoying it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment