Tuesday 15 September 2009

Comfortable Slippers and Loveliness

Episode 44

Coffee:El Salvador Finca La Fany Bourbon
Special Notes: Santa Ana Region 100% bourbon
Cup Profile: Sweet, caramel, creamy, great mouthfeel, great espresso

For an explanation of the title you will need to watch this weeks InMyMug.  This is another coffee that I like rather than love.  It is incredibly sweet, making it the perfect coffee for someone trying to wean themselves off of sugar.  For me however, I actually found it too sweet and had I not made it myself would have wondered whether it had somehow been contaminated, perhaps by a dirty spoon.  I think the fact I couldn’t bring myself to drink a cup of coffee with sugar in actually inhibited my enjoyment.

Other than the sweetness, this coffee is very nicely balanced,  light and big bodied.  As Steve mentioned, this is not a showy coffee, but it is a very drinkable everyday coffee. 

I think I will be drinking mostly espresso this week, as I am hoping that the sweetness will be much more welcome there than in the French Press.  I have been ignoring espresso for these write-ups for a while now as I find too much of what I end up tasting is down to my barista skills or lack thereof, but if I find myself having any strong feelings one way or the other with this coffee as espresso, I might come back and add to this post.

UPDATE: I did indeed drink the remainder of this coffee as espresso, and towards the end of the week not only had I drunk some stonking espresso, but I had also started to get a taste for the sweetness in it.  I suspect it would still be too sweet for me brewed, but the fact that my tastes are evolving as I expose myself to these coffees is just great

No comments:

Post a Comment