Wednesday 9 September 2009

It’s like early in a spring morning in an orchard after a stormy night

Episode 43

Coffee: Brazil Inglaterra Acaia 2008-2009
Special Notes: Pulped Natural
Cup Profile: Chocolate, creamy with hints of parma violets and a little tea like

There are two big things of note with this weeks coffee.  Firstly my description of this coffee is nothing like the cup profile.  I’m not sure what happened, but it is almost like I got the wrong coffee.  I’ll have to wait and see what Steve says when I watch this weeks InMyMug to see if that helps explain.

And secondly, I have come up with the most pompous sounding description of this coffee ever (this posts title), something that in general I really hate because I think it serves no purpose other than to inflate the ego of the describer, but somehow in this case it feels right.

In my defence, the problem with a description such as the above is that it condenses a lot of information into a small number of words, and has no real meaning unless you can uncompress it back into the original meaning.  Since I am about to do that now, I hope I can get away with it.

The first thing that hit me when I tasted this coffee as a big hit of apples (crunchy juicy green apples, not those horrible red ones).  So, plenty of nice bright acidity on the front palate.  This was followed by a hint of twig, and wet grass.  I am trying to avoid adding “but in a good way”, but somehow it was, and I can’t think of a better way to describe it.  And finally, a fresh clean finish.  When I have used tea like as a descriptor in the past, I have meant this sort of clean finish, but with a hint of tannin bitterness left in the mouth.  This has the clean finish, but without the bitterness which is why I avoided using the term, but at least it matches up with the cup profile.  I tend to use tea like as a backhanded compliment I guess, whereas I liked the crispness found here.

So to recap, we have apples and twigs, orchard – check!  bright and crisp, early spring morning – check!  Wet grass, well perhaps stormy night was a bit of a stretch, but with lots of dew isn’t as succinct!  In retrospect I’m not sure if I can justify the title after all, but at least my ego is feeling suitably inflated.

No comments:

Post a Comment