Monday 24 August 2009

Memoirs of a Panama Esmeralda Geisha

Episode 39

Coffee: Panama Esmeralda Geisha Lot 5
Special Notes: Truly Rare Coffee
Cup Profile: Red Fruit, Super Clean, Vibrant Acidity and Cherry

There are certain coffees that are really easy to write about.  They are big, bold shocking coffees, packed full of weird and wonderful flavours, the sorts of coffees you could imagine Jilly Goulden would get excited talking about.  And then there are coffees like this one.  They taste of, well coffee. 

I do get a hint of cherry as mentioned in the cup profile, like the cherries in blackforest gateau in particular.  But this isn’t it’s main component, and I had to search for it rather than it jumping out.  This was much more like going to a friends house and them brewing coffee, except brighter, fresher, cleaner etc.  Thankfully I have friends who make good coffee, considering they are typically buying  pre-ground coffee from supermarkets.

So now I have a problem.  Is it better for a coffee to taste exciting and unique, or should it taste the way people expect coffee to taste, just without the nasty bitterness, and with a bit of acidity?  I certainly think that this style of coffee has the ability to appeal to a wider audience.  Since my friends know I am a bit of a coffee obsessive, they definitely take more interest in the coffee I serve them.  I had a hard time explaining the banana coffee I served a few weeks ago, whereas this one would go down a treat I am sure.  Or at least it would have done had I not just finished the last of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment